Apr 24, 2020
The Gut Loving Podcast is all about irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and the low FODMAP diet! The low FODMAP diet is a relatively new approach to effectively treat IBS symptoms and is scientifically backed by a vast number of medical studies.
About this podcast
The Gut Loving Podcast is hosted by Laura Tilt (an experienced Dietitian in the UK specialising in IBS and the low FODMAP diet) and Huelya Akyuez, who has been living with IBS for over 20 years.
Together, Laura and Huelya started The Gut Loving Podcast to help others with IBS get clear on the facts - and learn more about how to take control of their condition.
Remember: Don’t start the low FODMAP diet without consulting your doctor or low FODMAP specialised dietitian first. The content of our podcast is not intended to be a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
→ Zemedy app: https://zemedy.com/
→ Tips from Melissa Hunt: https://zemedy.com/blogs/2020-03-24-a-message-from-our-psychologist-dr-melissa-hunt/
INFO FROM PREVIOUS EPISODES:
→ IBS food fact sheet: Short URL = https://bit.ly/2VAMzJJ or go to https://www.bda.uk.com/uploads/assets/5eded447-080a-4113-9b3cfc70e432fbd5/IBS-food-fact-sheet.pdf
→ Laura’s blog, articles on IBS and gut health: https://www.lauratilt.com/blog/categories/gut-health
→ Fodmap dietitians directory: Monash University https://www.monashfodmap.com/online-training/fodmap-dietitians-directory/
All things Monash:
→ Link to the Monash dietitian’s course: https://www.monashfodmap.com/online-training/dietitian-course/
→ Monash FODMAP Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MonashFODMAP/
→ NHS mood self assessment: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/mood-self-assessment/
→ Link to a breakdown of hypnotherapy in IBS study: https://www.nhs.uk/news/lifestyle-and-exercise/hypnotherapy-may-offer-relief-ibs-symptoms/
→ Chloe Brotheridge, hypnotherapist and coach: www.calmer-you.com and the host of The Calmer You Podcast . She's the author of two books published by Penguin, the best selling The Anxiety Solution and ‘Brave New Girl: 7 Steps to Confidence’. She's on Instagram @ChloeBrotheridge
→ Emma Hatcher: https://www.shecanteatwhat.com/ | Instagram: shecanteatwhat | Cookbook: https://www.amazon.co.uk/FODMAP-Friendly-Kitchen-Cookbook-delicious/dp/1473641462
→ How can I find a FODMAP trained dietitian? You can ask your GP or gastroenterologist (gut specialist) to refer you to a registered dietitian who is trained in the low FODMAP approach.
Alternatively you can book an appointment with a private practice dietitian. You can search for a private practice UK dietitian using this link: https://freelancedietitians.org/dietitians-in-private-practice/
→ Guide for testing lactose intolerance at home (1 page PDF): https://cutt.ly/xotfWU
→ Top tip: An easy way to check the lactose content of cheese and plain yoghurt is to check the nutrition panel. Look at the per 100 grams number under the ‘Carbohydrates, of which sugars’ category - this will show you the lactose content. So if the ‘Carbohydrates, of which sugars’ content is <0.5g, the dairy product (like cheese, butter, etc) can be considered as lactose free. For example, ricotta contains 4 grams of sugar (which is lactose) where as Parmesan contains less than 0.1 grams per 100g, making Parmesan suitable for a low lactose diet.
→ Lactose free milk: https://www.arlafoods.co.uk/brands/lactofree/milk/
→ Lactose chart/guide for foods that are lactose free/low in lactose: In progress, let us know if you would find this useful :)
- Jimmy Kimmel Live -> ‘Pedestrian Question - What is Gluten?’: https://goo.gl/A15Rth
- Study -> ‘Fructan, Rather Than Gluten, Induces Symptoms in Patients With Self-Reported Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity.’: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29102613
- Symprove (we love them and they have 9.1 stars out of 10 on Trustpilot!). Here is the discount code: Get 25% off their 4 pack bundle with typing in code Sym-Supporter25-LT at the checkout on their website www.symprove.com. If it is easier for you, you can call them on +44 1252 413600 or email them firstname.lastname@example.org, also in any case of questions on shipment etc!
- The Happy Gut Guide (HGG): Laura Tilt and Madeleine Shaw, an informative and supportive 12 week self-care programme for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) - http://happygutguide.co.uk
- The Mac Twins: https://thegutstuff.com
- Study summary: COULD EATING 30 PLANT FOODS A WEEK = A HEALTHY GUT MICROBIOME? - https://www.lauratilt.com/post/could-eating-30-plant-foods-a-week-a-healthy-gut-microbiome
- Book: Lee Martin MSc RD 'Re-challenging and Reintroducing FODMAPS: A self-help guide to the entire reintroduction phase of the low FODMAP diet' - https://goo.gl/UQwj3K
- Huelya’s low FODMAP savoury muffins and meatballs. RECIPE HERE: https://goo.gl/UFgzey / instagram video recipe: https://goo.gl/BFC3Ni | Huelya's meatballs - https://goo.gl/kbzndM LET US KNOW IF YOU WANT MORE RECIPES! :D
- Check the fibre content of your diet by keeping a food diary (website and app): https://www.myfitnesspal.com/
- Spotting a high fibre food: http://labellingtraining.food.gov.uk/module3/overview_3.html -> ‘“ high fibre' = A food is high in fibre if it contains at least 6g of fibre per 100g.
- Read more about why we need fibre here: http://www.symprove.com/blog/single/laura-tilt-fibre
- Laura’s tips on how to get enough fibre on a low FODMAP diet: https://goo.gl/ZwKgqK
- Guidelines for fluid intake: As a rough guide, 35 ml per kilogram of body weight for adults under 60 years of age. Please note hydration needs vary according to temperature and activity levels too. If you are increasing your fibre intake, remember to increase your water intake too.
- First line IBS advice (overview): goo.gl/LS9xCk
- Bristol stool chart link: goo.gl/2ZPgyT
- Symptom evaluation as produced by Department of Nutrition and Dietetics Guy's and St Thomas' NHS London: https://goo.gl/zbMRMn
Contact us: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Laura Tilt (MSc, Dietitian RD)
Huelya Akyuez (‘sezamee - my gut loving food journey’)
YouTube: sezamee - gut loving food (or simply 'sezamee')
00000D2D 00000D25 00018069 00018069 0016DF40 0016DF40 0000788B 0000788B 001EF090 001EF090